History

The ‘Harrow’ homestead and property, just west of Cambooya, has one of the largest holdings on the eastern Darling Downs.  It is comprised of 1571 ha (3883 acres) in four separate but adjacent blocks.

Robert Ramsay built Harrow homestead during the 1860’s. It is an impressive building constructed mainly of cedar and pine with an arched hallway of polished timber and large rooms. The homestead covers 100 squares and its two verandahs are 42 metres (140 feet) and 18 metres (60 feet) long.  The homestead is set on about 4 ha (10 acres) of lawns and gardens.

The history of Harrow is closely linked with that of Eton Vale, of which Harrow was once a part.  Robert Ramsay purchased 35,000 acres (some historians say 76,000 acres) of the original Eton Vale Station from Arthur Hodgson, naming the property ‘Harrow’, after one of the British institutions at which he was educated.

Later, legislation reduced the size of Harrow and the property was sold in 1927.

Harrow was once the centre of a whole village with many outbuildings and workers cottages. There was also a school for the Ramsay children, though the property workers’ children were educated at another school at Umbiram.

Cheese was manufactured in a factory on the property for many years, and until the 1940’s a large dairy herd was milked by shifts of workers 24 hours a day.  The property also carried sheep and a Merino stud until the early 1960’s.

‘Harrow’ is watered by Emu and Hodgson Creeks, and is now used for grain growing and cattle production.

During its history, the ownership of Harrow has changed only six times.  Following the Ramsay family’s ownership, the property passed to the Lloyd family, then to Taylors, Duffys, Keongs, a partnership of Mr Charles Berg and Mr Bob Crothers, and finally to the current owners, the Carrigan family.

Comments are closed.